Here's a list of some of the places that will hold public meetings or events in Sheffield (some of the details and prices were from a while back and so may now be out of date. Please correct and update this page and add links to locations via Open Street Map):
Sheffield City Centre
Central United Reform Church
- 60 Norfolk Street, S1
- Has two rooms one with a capacity for 30 the other 150. Larger room costs £56 for an evening.
- Contact: Mrs Wood 235-0164
Quaker Meeting House
- 10 St James St, S1 2EW
- Has rooms of all size with capacities up to around 150ish? The largest room cost £30 per hour to hire with possible discount available to non profit groups.
- Contact: 275-7390 fax: 281-2983, office [at] sheffieldquakers.fsnet.co.uk
St Mathews Church Rooms
- Carver St, S1
- Has two rooms one for around 30/40 people the other will take 100 - 150. Cost is £36 for an evening.
- Contact: Betty Campion: 239-0636.
- Houlden Hall, Norfolk Row, S1
- Very central, has one large room, capacity 100. Cost around £40 (reduction might be possible for certain events).
- Contact: 272-2522
Red Deer Pub
- 18 Pitt St, (off West Street), S1
- Upstairs room may be hired out for an evening - relaxed pub atmosphere - capacity is around 40. Cost was £10.
- 80 Trippet Lane, S1
- Has a small downstairs room than can be reserved for meetings (with bar!) and larger upstairs room often used for smallish music gigs.
- Contact: 249-0909
Royal Society for the Blind
- 5 Mappin Street, S1
- Basic room,good size (maybe 150 capacity)
- Contact: 272-2757 fax: 278-0713
St Mary's Church
- Bramall Lane, S2 4QZ
- A number of different rooms available for hire. Edge of city centre. Car parking. Plush but expensive!!
- Contact: see website
Just out of the city centre
The Broomsping Centre
- Broomspring Lane, Broomhall, S11
- Close to University. Has large room (capacity around 80). Can be used for music gigs etc. that don't go on too late.
- Contact: 272-4623
- 48 Wicker
- Sheffield And District Afro-Carribean Community Association has largish rooms just out of town.
- Contact: 275-3479, 275-3915, 275-3668.
Mount Pleasant Community Centre
- Sitwell House, Sharrow Lane, S7
- Has rooms of various size holding up to perhaps 80. Good rates for community based meetings.
- Contact: 260-2485
- Cemetery Road, back of big Waitrose
- Council owned, good size venue, virtually city centre.
- Meersbrook Park Road S8?
- Small venue suitable for up to around 30 people, but there are only 10 adult chairs.
- Contact: 0114 205 3047 via the Community Buildings Team.
Common Ground Community Centre
- Machon Bank/Empire Road/Woodstock Road junction Nether Edge S7
- Great venue with a large room (holds 60+ ish?) and a smaller one. Big room has a stage. Free to use, donations for heating in the winter.
- Contact: Joan Swan, 255-7686
- Northcote Rd, Heeley, S2 3AT
- Community Centre available to hire with a lounge, hall and kitchen. Ideal for meetings, family events and childrens' parties. No alcohol on the premises please.
- Contact: Sophie Peel-Yates, 2580845
- 180 Shirebrook Road
- Hartley Street, Heeley, Sheffield, S2 3AF